What to see in Vilnius?
Vilnius is an enchanting and impressive Lithuanian city that has long influenced the traditions and history of our country. It is dominated by a modern and cosmopolitan rhythm of life, always with friendly locals and countless attractions. Many Lithuanians and foreigners choose the capital not only because of the intriguing sights and restless entertainment, but also because of the largest airport in the country, Vilnius. There is a lot to talk about Vilnius, but it is impossible not to mention the airport … It is the most direct and modern airport in Lithuania, so if you choose to start the flight here, you will definitely be satisfied! Of course, do not miss the opportunity to admire Vilnius itself before the trip, unforgettable moments and adventurous time await you in the city! And if you’re considering what to see in it, we offer a few endlessly interesting objects.
Places of interest in Vilnius:
- Gediminas Castle Tower is a tower located on a majestic hill, which has survived all the misfortunes that have afflicted Lithuania. Now you can get acquainted with the expositions of the 14th and 17th centuries and admire the breathtaking panorama of Vilnius.
- St. St. Anne’s Church is a charming Vilnius church surrounded by legends and stories … It is famous for its exceptional Gothic architecture and the fact that even Napoleon himself wanted to take the church and transport it to Paris.
- Gates of Dawn – while in Vilnius, it is mandatory to pass through these gates reminiscent of a fairy tale. Their history dates back to the 16th century and at that time they were used as a defensive gateway to the city.
- The Hill of Three Crosses is one of the main faces of Vilnius. This mountain symbolizes the spirit and strength of the city, and the view from its summit takes away the promise.
What to do in Vilnius?
Take at least a day before your trip for a tour of our precious capital and you will definitely be captivated! And to make the time spent in Vilnius memorable for a long time, we offer to try the following entertainment.
Entertainment in Vilnius:
- Vilnius streets. Probably everyone who has stayed in Vilnius will agree: the city streets are extremely cozy and smell of nostalgia … Get to know the center of Vilnius and the Old Town: go to the old Pilies Street, where street music is silent, discover the secrets of Užupis and explore the modern Gediminas Avenue.
- Vilnius parks. If you are looking for a cozy place to take a walk or a short picnic, be sure to visit the dreamy Bernardine Garden. Vingis Park is perfect for active leisure, and if you want to admire the breathtaking views, visit Pavilniai Regional Park.
- Vilnius attractions – although, compared to the capitals of other European countries, Vilnius is a relatively small city, it contains many intriguing legends and objects. So, if you are interested in exclusive places of the city, be sure to stop by Literatų Street. In it, the walls are decorated with works of artists, rub the famous Belly of Success. Or maybe you decide to visit the Antakalnis cemetery, where the most famous people of Lithuanian art and science rest?
Facts about Vilnius
Vilnius is an infinitely beautiful city that attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists from all over the world every year. Of course, the capital is captivated not only by the exceptional coziness and charm, but also by the curiosities hidden in the history and present of the city. Wondering what they are? We will not try your curiosity and therefore we invite you to get acquainted with them.
Do you think that Vilnius is drowning now after the summer rains? Then you won’t believe that in 1931 the city was flooded and the water level was over 800 centimeters!
One of the most important symbols of Vilnius, the Gediminas Tower, is only a restored part of the old castle, but it is interesting that at that time the castle was built not of brick but of wood.
It is also interesting that Gediminas Tower was not built by Gediminas, but by Vytautas.
Vilnius Old Town is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List due to its exceptional beauty and history.
Sounds extremely intriguing … Of course, before visiting the city, it is worth knowing the basic information about Vilnius.
Information about Vilnius:
Vilnius has a population of 543,626.
63.2% of the population are Lithuanians, 16.5% are Poles, 12% are Russians, 3.5% are Belarusians, and 4.8% are of other nationalities.
Vilnius was first mentioned in 1323.
Since 2015, the mayor of the city is Remigijus Šimašius.